Martial Arts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 135 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:25 am
Latest topics
» Take care.....
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:47 pm by Merlyn

» A Days training...
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm by Merlyn

» News on sword ban
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:41 pm by Merlyn

» Facebook
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 pm by Merlyn

» Welcome Phyllocrania84
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 am by Merlyn

» olympics
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 am by jediwarrior

» welcome liam spowage
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 pm by matt.k.f.s

» Welcome mark stephens
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm by Merlyn

» Bujinkan Seminar- South Wales
Disability and martial arts I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm by jediwarrior

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Disability and martial arts

Go down

Disability and martial arts Empty Disability and martial arts

Post by jediwarrior Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 pm

As there are many disabled martial artists doing the sport i wandered how your particular style accommodates people with a disability?. I think more people with a disability should take up martial arts and i personally know a few and they are as good if not more determined and push them selfs harder to progress and i have full respect for those people. Do you think more should be done to encourage disabled people ( sorry if not using right term ) to take it up the sport and show its not just for the full abled bodied individual?.

jediwarrior
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://martialarts.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Disability and martial arts Empty Re: Disability and martial arts

Post by jediwarrior Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi
i had a guy training for a while that was a kick boxer (3rd dan) had one leg and half of 1 arm was missing , good kick boxer as well , had his own club in chard a local town , those who train with me know mark , he struggled with credibility .
later in the year when my club has settled i may have him teach ,real funny guy ,

on the other hand we do special needs classes , that are very successful , always have good attendance , very keen group , i am o.c.d myself ( obsessive compulsive ) and on the autistic spectrum ( no I'm not like the chuffin rain man).
again never stopped me , that why i react to situation the way i do , like when that kind chap pointed out jedi's weakness , i feel that i spent a great deal of my life as an outsider due to my disorders , martial arts was the only place i fitted in ,we should be people with the highest understanding and patience , with the greatest empathy. i always feel that we are the extremities of society , very few ever want to go too the limits of mind and body that we do , and it takes extreme people , people on a journey with a purpose .we are all beyond the norm , it is our nature to push our ability's in focus , power,speed , pain etc.
a majority of people that come to us are there for a reason maybe bad confidence,self esteem, self image , fear , negatively, self defense , weight , bullying , the list goes on , and it is our job to help and build but mainly to inspire.
due to my o.c.d at it's worst (or best lol)i was training 6 hours a day 6 days a week.plus my theory study , and still hungery after 26 years, does that sound a negative! lol never get bored! or need a break!, it was a gift (it just took a while to understand it).
most people when they meet me ( mostly at seminars etc ) say
" i would never have guessed you had problems"
the answer always is the same " i ain't it's other people with the problems"
i learn t to live with ignorance and prejudice early on in my life .
i have also used martial arts to overcome obstacles and create illusions so that most cant spot it .
but i never hide the facts.
so i suppose this is a personal one for me.

cheers
matt

jediwarrior
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://martialarts.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down