Martial Arts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 135 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:25 am
Latest topics
» Take care.....
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:47 pm by Merlyn

» A Days training...
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm by Merlyn

» News on sword ban
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:41 pm by Merlyn

» Facebook
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 pm by Merlyn

» Welcome Phyllocrania84
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 am by Merlyn

» olympics
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 am by jediwarrior

» welcome liam spowage
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 pm by matt.k.f.s

» Welcome mark stephens
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm by Merlyn

» Bujinkan Seminar- South Wales
Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm by jediwarrior

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style

5 posters

Go down

Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style Empty Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style

Post by DoubleJack Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 am

I'm currently thinking about learing a new style of fighting. I have Learned a little out of several styles of combat. (Just enough to make me a worse fighter than if i had no training at all...). Before starting my current job, I studdied several weapon styles Including fencing, some lessons of Bushido, Escrima, and a few other classes here and there. I have also Dabbled in The Filipino style Kali, and the Millitary Vangaurd Style (To cause as much pain to the opponent as you can). I ended up enjoying the weapon styles, more or less because I was good at them.
I have had only an introduction to these styles, and am looking to focus my attention on a single style. I hope it to be more of an Art form... than a fighting style.
Please... I welcome your suggestions.

DoubleJack

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style Empty Re: Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style

Post by matt.k.f.s Tue May 13, 2008 11:34 am

hi
if i was you ..... i would make a list of all my local clubs and take a visit ..
what sort of weapons are you into ?
karate uses alot of weapons ( tonfa, sai , chuck's ect)
but wushu utilises weapons in a totally different way .... usually live edge or the more exotic side of weaponry .
kali arnis and escrima are great ...
you then have to take into consideration the quality of instructors in your area ..
about 80% of instructors are stagnant ( only teach and dont train anymore)
so when approaching a proposed instructor always make sure he still trains ( under an instructor) ... there are a lot of rogue ( shite) instructors that go out and teach their view.

hope this helps

cheers
matt

matt.k.f.s
Modertator
Modertator

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style Empty Re: Suggestions On learing a new Martial Art Style

Post by Merlyn Tue May 13, 2008 6:27 pm

I have to agree with Matt...

Look for a good instructor and try not to get hung up on whats on offer.

Having the traditional Japanese weaponry at my disposal oftens makes teh art I practice something desirable.

I hope I interest people through my teaching and philosophy rather than the fact I teach sword.

A good art will adapt to any weaponry. If your art only allows you to use one specific weapon then you need to look elsewhere. A good art will adapt from sword to staff to chain with little or no adaptation in your body movement or technique.

This allows you to flow easily from one weapon to the next without having to change or adapt your fighting methods.

Visit a few, chat with the people and above all.......

Trust your instincts :-)

Read a good qoute today.....

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
Winston Churchill

Think I am gonna use that one a lot :-)
Merlyn
Merlyn
Modertator
Modertator

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof. Akers Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 pm

I was on a course last week-end with Rebecca Kane - very good little teacher 5 times world stick champion (I'm sounding like an advert).
Anyway she was good, my club liked what she did check her out - not sure where she teaches info@kaneacademy.com.
Prof. Akers
Prof. Akers

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jediwarrior Thu May 15, 2008 8:44 pm

i`ve spoken to becky kane a few times nice person. But i have to agree with what mat has said look around

jediwarrior
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://martialarts.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down