Martial Arts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 135 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:25 am
Latest topics
» Take care.....
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:47 pm by Merlyn

» A Days training...
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm by Merlyn

» News on sword ban
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:41 pm by Merlyn

» Facebook
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 pm by Merlyn

» Welcome Phyllocrania84
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 am by Merlyn

» olympics
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 am by jediwarrior

» welcome liam spowage
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 pm by matt.k.f.s

» Welcome mark stephens
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm by Merlyn

» Bujinkan Seminar- South Wales
proper breathing, this is a cross post I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm by jediwarrior

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

proper breathing, this is a cross post

2 posters

Go down

proper breathing, this is a cross post Empty proper breathing, this is a cross post

Post by jediwarrior Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Proper Breathing
By Bob Hubbard

The idea of a guide to breathing seems rather strange to some. After all, we all do it automatically. But, like everything else, there is a right way to breath to maximize its benefit to you.

The most common breathing uses only the top half of our lungs. This leaves the bottom portion unused and tends to hinder the fullest absorption of oxygen due to the retention of stale air. This stale air and poor use of our lung capacity effects every organ in our bodies. Every day we take thousands of breaths but rarely will we think about how to improve the process.

Proper deep breathing combined with meditation can reduce stress, expand your consciousness, deepen insights and help create inner peace. Even without meditation, properly breathing can help keep you alert and energized to face the trials of the day.

We enter this world in a soft, relaxed state, gradually growing harder as we age. As we age, we forget how to breathe at our full capacity, taking shallower and shallower breaths. This should be a concern.

One of the first things the singer and musician learn is proper breath control. Body builders and weight training includes proper breathing instruction.

Tai chi, Yoga and other meditative practices require you to become attuned to your breathing at an early stage. In order to bet the maximum from these studies, it is vitally important that the body and the mind receive sufficient oxygen. The act of breathing itself is important for proper bodily function. It massages the internal organs and moves both nutrients and wastes. From a meditative perspective, focusing on proper breathing unclutters your mind, and helps you to relax. How often have you had trouble sleeping and heard "focus on your breathing" or "breath slow and count your breaths"?

So, breathing right is important. But, how do you do it?

In order to understand the right way to breath, you must also know the wrong ways. You want to avoid what are called "Clavicle" and "Thoracic" breathing. In "Clavicle breathing", the abdomen is sucked in and the shoulders and collarbone are raised. It is the shallowest type giving the least benefit. Expanding the rib muscles does “Thoracic breathing” which is where the stomach is often sucked in but the chest rises and falls..

Proper breathing is more than simply "breath in, breath out". Proper breathing involves the abdomen, and four distinct stages: Inhalation, retention, exhalation and pause.

Inhalation
Never force yourself to inhale to the point where you feel so full you might burst. A common mistake, you should never try to force it beyond comfortable fullness. Go about 2/3's full. Don't try to suck in all the air you can as fast as you can. Do it at a slow and steady pace for maximum effect. Breath with your abdomen. To get the feel for this, while wearing loose clothing, lie on your back. Place your hand on the upper abdomen, where the diaphragm is located, approximately just under your rib line. Breathe in and out slowly. The abdomen should expand outward as you inhale and contract as you exhale.

Retention
A common mistake is to breath in and out as fast as you can. This can cause you to become lightheaded, and you get minimal effectiveness of the air. Instead, after breathing in about 2/3 of a lungful of air, hold it for about 3-4 seconds. This allows for proper exchange of oxygen and toxins through the cell walls, and can slow down your heartbeat and reduce blood pressure. Proper retention has many therapeutic benefits to the body.

Exhalation
Don't try to force the air out. Empty from the top to the bottom, in a relaxed manner.

Pause
When the lungs are completely empty, pause for a few seconds. This will allow the abdominal wall and diaphragm to relax so that they may operate at the best of their ability on the next breath.

Proper deep breathing can reduce stress, expand your mind, increase your endurance and energy, and keep you alert. Shallow or incorrect breathing can leave you clouded, tired and lethargic. Regardless of your activity, remember to breath. Be aware of how you are breathing, and focus on a slow deep relaxed breath. You'll find you will be more effective in your daily activities.

jediwarrior
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://martialarts.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

proper breathing, this is a cross post Empty Re: proper breathing, this is a cross post

Post by StuartHemming Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 am

I've found, as a tai chi instructor, that many people, especially older people, have problems with this; some even have problems with visualising it.

One thing that I have found that helps is telling students to concentrate only on the in breath. I can offer no explanation for why, but encouraging someone to think about both breathing in and out adds to the tension in the body and seems to promote thoracic breathing. Rolling Eyes

One visualisation I use a lot is to see the whole of the torso as a large empty vessel in to which air is 'poured' during inhalation. The vessel fills from the bottom so the student tries to visualise the breath sinking low in to the body.

Breathing like this when at rest or when practising chi kung can easily see a student - a relatively fit and well student - reduce his or her respiration rate to as little as 4 breaths/minute without any ill effects at all (although this does, in truth, require some practice).

Breathing like this does calm the mind, although many (of my acquaintance) believe that is is because you're having to concentrate that hard on in there's no room in you head for anything else. Smile

StuartHemming

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-01-10

http://www.yuangchi.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum